One of the best things about living in a small town, is the charm and quaintness of unique local shops. I have a few staple favourites, but my fave is most definitely Style Mercantile.
This cozy ma and pa joint is owned and operated by Karen and her husband Derrick, who opened Style Mercantile in November of 2014 and have recently relocated to a larger space in order to showcase their amazing pieces and hold workshops.
The mercantile offers a selection of home decor items and quality furniture pieces at affordable prices. I have to say …. I. Am. In. Love. With. This. Place! She certainly has a knack for transformation.
This store does not lack for anything: great decor, ambiance and selection of one of a kind items. The customer service is excellent (they take pride in getting to know their clientele on a first name basis). I typically enjoy a speciality tea or coffee as I browse, complimentary of course 🙂
They have a 5* rating on Facebook and I can certainly see why.
Karen reinvents vintage pieces who have long lost their lustre using a paint that requires NO sanding and NO priming. That’s right people, NONE! Just clean and apply! I call it “miracle paint”. We’re in the process of redoing our entire kitchen using this product. I chose a simple, clean look, but, this product is perfect for antiquing and distressing anything! Yes, anything! Wood, MDF, plastic, metal – ANYTHING!
Afraid of a DYI project? Not to fret, Style Mercantile hosts a variety of classes to help bring out your inner antiquing Goddess (or God if your hubby dares join you). Karen teaches the different techniques and applications and offers suggestion on colour combinations.
I attended one of the Fall classes last week. I was lucky enough to sneak a spot in, due to a cancellation. The classes sure are popular, she offered 7 classes and before I called to register, they were all sold out (mental note: book on day one in order to secure a spot!).
I am amazed how I was able to turn a plain, unfinished pine wood box into a truly unique flower box, adorned with beautifully matched handles. It was a nice afternoon out, a great way to meet new people and enjoy a Chai latte.
If you’re interested in more Style Mercantile check out their Facebook page.
Beyond how much I totally crush on Style Mercantile, I want to highlight the importance of shopping local, and why we all should:
- Local Character and Prosperity: In an increasingly homogenized world, communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character have an economic advantage.
- Product Diversity: A multitude of small businesses, each selecting products based, not on a national sales plan, but on their own interests and the needs of their local customers, guarantees a much broader range of product choices.
- Customer Service: It’s truly impressive to think about the amount of time, commitment and labor these individuals contribute to make their businesses both come to life and stay alive amidst the big box store generation. Their personal commitment to their business certainly helps in their efforts insofar as customer service – they are directly involved cultivating repeat business.
- Support yourself: Several studies have shown that when you buy from an independent, locally-owned business, rather than a nationally-owned businesses, significantly more of your money is used to make purchases from other local businesses, service providers, and farms — continuing to strengthen the economic base of the community.
- Invest In Community: Local businesses are owned by people who live in this community, are less likely to leave, and are more invested in the community’s future.
Before moving to a smaller community, I was as guilty as the next guy for not showing love to the locally owned business. But now, I choose to shop locally to support people’s dreams. It makes me feel in a small way, that I’m doing my part.
~ When you support small business, you’re supporting a dream!
4 thoughts on “Let’s All Get Cozy With Our Local Shop Owners”
wow nice Tina, it says it all, and I am sure that Karen will love this and its true we should support each other in a small community, good job my daughter.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you for the feedback Mom, I appreciate it! Keep reading xo
Thank you so much for you kind words and support. I am humbled and honoured by your article. A goal of mine when I opened our shoppe was to inspire others and to encourage them to make a space they love to be in. BONUS! My customers inspire and encourage me. 💞
LikeLiked by 1 person
Well a big thank you Karen for your great shoppe and teachings!