I’ve been feeling all kindsa crappy , the past few months, since I put on some extra weight. I definitely have become “Dauphinzed” (but in all fairness, had I lived somewhere else, the outcome would have been the same). I’m not gonna lie, I loved it – it was fun to let loose, eat what I wanted and not have to worry about counting calories and I got to eat chicken wings, I frigging love chicken wings!
I’ve found that it’s become a lot easier to gain a few pounds than it is to lose them these days. The foods that I ate without care in my 20s and 30s now stick to me (sigh). Combine that with not exercising as much I definitely ought to and getting out of my norm, habits and routines, it wasn’t hard to see where I was heading … Excess Pound Town!
I hadn’t stepped on a scale in months, but I knew that the clothes I wore while I lived in Toronto no longer fit me, and those that did were super tight (again sigh). I estimated my weight gain to be around the 15 lbs mark (sigh again).
The thing with eating poorly is that it literally makes you feel like a big bag of sh@t. We’ve all heard the old adage “you are what you eat” and we all know that what you eat and how you feel, have a close connection. I was noticing that I had decreased energy and stamina, I was feeling tired all of the time – like I just couldn’t get out of 2nd gear – I was perma stuck – but hey, I had chicken wings! lol
I want to get back to me, to being healthy, to eating healthy, quit with the junk food cravings, ditch the large double doubles and get back to my green teas. Toss the diet Pepsi and get back to my yummy, nutritious lemon/cucumber or strawberry and mint water. I WANT MY ENERGY BACK! And guess what? It’s not hanging out in a bag of Doritos (although I am quite fond of the sweet chilli heat flavour!). I know that I just have to get back into my old habits. When I eat healthy, I don’t crave junk food.
Most importantly maintaining a healthy weight is important for overall health and can help you prevent and control many diseases and conditions.
I decided to embark on a weight loss journey and get back to me. I need to flush my body of these toxins and properly nourish it. I need to get back my mental clarity and energy.
Last week, I stepped on the scale — total weight gained 20 lbs! 20 freaking pounds in 14 months! That’s 1.42 lbs gained per month! Now, some of you say – “omg, like your still a normal size”. True, that I am. But, being a healthy weight for your body (I have a small frame) is different for me than it would be for someone else and what makes you feel good is subjective and individual to the person.
For example: I used the CDC calculator to determine my “normal” body weight. Based on my height and weight, my BMI is 23.8, indicating that my weight is in the Normal category for adults my height.
But, it also says that for my height, a normal weight range would be from 111 to 150 pounds! Like what? A 39 lbs difference?
So that’s what I am trying to say. I don’t feel comfortable at this weight, even though it is still within the “normal” range. I feel more comfortable at my previous weight – which too is within the norm.
Anyway, back to my point … this is doable. It’s only 20 lbs, if I dig deep I can totally lose this weight by making the same simple changes I had to, to lose it in the first place!
10 simple ways to kickstart your weight loss:
- Swap the to go order – stop eating out! And, for the love of all things holy – stop with the chicken wings!
- Skip the inside aisles – all the healthy goodness our bodies need are all contained on the outside aisles.
- Get fit in 12 – I’m not gonna lie. I hate working out – we DO NOT get along. I cannot begin to tell you the number of $$$$ I’ve waisted on unused gym memberships and workout videos. So I opted for reality — I downloaded The 12 Minute Athlete (free on the App Store). I have no reason to not do this 2x per day. Heck, I may even do three!
- Kick the habit – stop with the empty calories in your large double double – a Large Timmy’s is 280 calories! Opt for black coffee or green/white tea options
- Purge – purge your cupboards to make sure you’ve gotten rid of all of those yummy temptations!
- Pile on the veggies – I used to love pizza topped with arugula and yellow/red peppers – so switch to it rather than stuffed crust and pepperoni (omg, Pizza Hut lunch, I’m gonna miss you! )
- Walk with Spot – or in my case, Ellie, even if it’s just around the block for 20 mins per day
- Cut out white starches – white bread, white rice, white potatoes etc.
- Drink +++++++ water
- Learn to love salad- I’ve always loved salads so this one is an easy fix. When choosing your leafy greens, the greener/darker the better! Opt for spinach, kale or arugula rather than iceberg lettuce. Ps: stay away from Cesar salad. My fave salad right now is spinach, arugula, strawberries, watermelon, hemp seeds, chia seeds, spicy Thai tuna or Cajun chicken and Kraft Asian Dressing
These little things will start making a difference in no time at all. Furthermore …. I added a little oomph to my journey!!! AND because of it, I’m already noticing a huge boost in my energy levels, I feel like I have energy to burn and I’ve already lost 4.3 lbs. I’m totally looking forward to the rest of this journey …. Stay tuned …
~ I wish I could lose weight as easy as I lose my keys, pen, cell phone, temper and even my mind